Sunday, October 31, 2010

Good Business

Between what I've seen firsthand, from friends & family and what I hear from clients of mine, I'm dismayed by what the workplace has become for employees. Workers are in bad work situations that they are afraid to leave. A crappy job seems better than no job. Most feel they have limited or no options for bettering their situations due to the economy. Employers are very aware of the power that gives them and they pile on the abuses to save money.

I've heard some say this is just "good business". If it helps their bottom line than they are doing what they "should" be doing if they are smart business people. But what I think is this: if what you're doing is leaving your employees so stressed out that their doctors are telling them they must leave their jobs for the sake of their health, then that is not "good business". It is business without a conscience. And that is most certainly not good.

On the other hand, I never believe that there are no options available. Impossible does not exist. And it's up to us, not our employers to make it happen. We underestimate what we have the power to achieve. Fear is the only thing holding us back. Take the first step, even if it's a small step. See what happens. Did the sky fall? Did something positive happen? Did you meet someone new who has ideas for you? Did you stumble across something that gave you a tiny idea? Hmmmm. Now reevaluate and take another step. Continue in this manner until you find yourself removed from the crappy situation and realizing how much better life has gotten.    It could take just one step. It could take fifty steps. What does it matter if it leads you to where you want to be? I'm a pretty big fan of baby steps myself. I like testing the water and gradually immersing myself. But I do keep at it because I'll be damned if I'm gonna run screaming out of the water.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment