Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Soul Food

Something that has come out in my morning pages writing is that I really need to take a careful look at who I am allowing to be a regular part of my life. There are too many instances where I will hang with someone, read someones writings or make frequent contact with who really adds nothing positive to my life. And all too often they bring a lot of drama or negativity into it. My contact with those people needs to be either eliminated or seriously curtailed.  I can see where that might sound elitist or cold. But it's not a matter of being mean or being judgmental. I can be kind to these people, show them goodwill, wish them well and then move along. The point is that I don't need to feel compelled to bring them into my inner circle, to give them a front row seat to my life. I need to reserve those spaces for those whose values are more closely aligned with mine. This does not mean I only want to be around people just like me; I adore being with people who are different enough to show me new things and new ideas. But there needs to be an underlying vibe there that supports my growth as a person rather than detracts from it. And vice versa.

I'm planning to go through my facebook friends lists and see where there are those who I am hearing too much crap from and either remove them or at least hide them from view in my news feed. Even though I try to just ignore it, if it's there in your face all the time you can't help but be adversely affected by it. Even just the act of scrolling through the junk gets old. This includes some pages I have liked because I support their causes. I like to hear news on these issues but if it is overwhelmingly lashing out at adversaries then that begins to feel like a gigantic suckage of good energy into bad energy. Yes, I just made up my own word. Suckage. I like that! And I'm tired of being drawn into heated exchanges between different sides. I just don't need that. It distracts me from doing what I want and need to do.

I follow a lot of blogs too. And while most of them are not negative and they each relate in some way to stuff going on in my life, some just aren't bringing anything enriching to the table either. Those need to go. When I'm getting into something new I have a tendency to want to read EVERYONE to try to soak up as much info as I can. But once I have a better feel  for things I need to cull out the ones that don't completely captivate me. There is no reason why I can't learn for people who also share my values! And I'd rather throw the support their way. I've come across a few blogs recently that really do it for me. I want to hear more, more, more from them. It's like comparing Adele and Pitbull. I am drowning in a sea of Pitbull when what I want is Adele. So out with the cheap imitation and in with what feeds my soul!

4 comments:

  1. As with the physical clutter of our lives, we need to clean out the mental clutter as well. Living simple means living with only that which sustains us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I knew this but sometimes I forget. I really enjoy your blog, by the way.

    Sue from over at
    www.mohotravels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally right, and keeping a positive inner circle is key. Family is a category you have less control over, but hopefully the majority of your family members are sunflowers. (All but one of my family members are, and we've managed to put a good 2,000 miles between ourselves and the rotten egg.)

    Good luck with the facebook paring! xo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so know what you mean!! There's just so much negativity in the world, one really need to filter all info they get not to go completely crazy lol I also always try to eliminate or limit my contact with negative people and I can see how it's helpful in the long run!

    ReplyDelete