Saturday, May 12, 2012

Drivers Ed

Prep work for our full-time RVing goal continues. Yesterday we went to Lazydays here in Tucson and took their driver confidence course. It was a great introduction into driving a rig, which is something neither of us really has any experience with. Really glad we did this! Kind of boggles my mind how anyone could do a decent job starting out without learning the tricks they taught us.

 Karin was super excited about the course while I was pretty terrified. I felt VERY intimidated going into it, especially when I saw the size of the RV they had for us to learn on. It was a 40 footer, which is considerably larger than what we plan to purchase. But nonetheless I was determined to do this. Even though Karin is typically the one driving whenever we go places together, I think it's unwise to rely on just one driver. I want to be able to drive whenever the need arises and be completely comfortable doing so.

 Karin volunteered to go first in our group. I waited until about halfway through. Everyone in the group did great. Over half of us were women. :) It was amazing to me how easy it was to concentrate only on the rules we were given and not even think about the enormous length sitting behind me. Hmmm.....now that just sounds hilarious to me when I read back what I just wrote!

 Karin got some video of me making my first turn. I was too freaked out to even think of capturing her moment of glory.



I was really quite proud of myself afterwards! And here are our certificates. 


3 comments:

  1. I wasn't scared because it was their RV. :D It feels different when it's ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I'll be scared all over again when we finally get our own rig. Especially since I won't have the instructor sitting next to me, calmly guiding me through the whole process. :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing! You ladies rock.

    Now tell us some of those tips you learned! :-)

    ReplyDelete